Monday, May 9, 2011

Consumer Report: B&H Photo & Video

That's right. I'm a consumer and here's my report:
I'm madder than a highway patrolman on the opening night of Fast 5 over the latest bullsh*t saga of the week.
B&H, I love you, but tonight, I really hate you.
Quick backstory: I am in the market for a nice HD monitor for my editing system. I need a screen I can reference while I'm editing now that everything has gone high def. I guess the little JVC 9" monitor isn't cutting the mustard anymore. RIP, standard def.
I found a very nicely-priced Sony 40" with 120Hz frame rate on the B&H website around 3PM. The price was around $630, $650 tops. So I put it in my "cart". But then I got pulled away for a few hours. I got back on the computer shortly after 6PM to buy it.
Lo and behold, the price has now hiked itself up to $763. ????? Are you f-ing kidding me?
So I tried calling….no phone customer service after 6. Then I got in their online chat service. I wish I saved the transcription, but I'll give you the gist of it:
Me: I put this monitor in my cart at $630 and the price has jumped up to $763 in the span of two hours. WTF????
B&H Phone dude: That was a daily special. It's over now. Putting the item in your cart doesn't mean you get it at that price.
Me: I'm tired and can't think of any witty comebacks. You guys suck!
Well now, I didn't say that last part. But I have to point out at this time I have spent thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars at B&H. Both personally, and recommending purchases for the multi-million dollar corporations I've worked for. And I wasn't gonna get into that with the online customer service. I shouldn't have to.
In my perfect world, the correct answer would have been, "Yes, I can see you wanted to buy that TV earlier today. We will honor the price of $630. I'll help you ring up that order now."
Memo to B&H: If you put an item for sale at a certain price, friggin' honor that price, at least for a 24 hour period!
So now here is an online article to crummy up your reputation, complete with tags and all. All over 100 bucks and change. And I know from experience that B&H loses their marbles whenever someone talks ill of them on message boards. So in the future, be more like Walmart and "match that price". Especially since it's your own.
Off to Costco. They've got a monitor for about the same price. And hopefully less aggravation.
*Grumble* I'm still gonna need that Blackmagic HD Link Pro from you guys….. Dammit! B&H got the world by the balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment