Friday, May 13, 2011

I Can't Believe The Price (You'd) Pay


I’m more aggravated than a liberal hipster who just heard someone mention the Monsanto Corporation over some overpriced bullshit.  What are we plagued with on the evening news?  A smattering of “in these trying times” and “ financial troubles from Wall Street to Main Street”.  Well, apparently someone has some disposable income, namely your average metalhead.


Get this:  I was watching an Agnostic Front video that someone linked on Facebook which had a banner ad running for a concert event known as “The Big 4” at Yankee Stadium.  Hmmmm…..  This concert features perennial heavy hitters Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer and Metallica.  And no, you haven’t stumbled into a time machine and been transported to the year 1988. It’s 2011, but somehow these bands still have universal appeal.  Perhaps more so now than 20 years ago.




As for this promo poster, it's a fairly crappy layout.  You know what would have been cool?  If they got Pushead to draw up some rotting corpse in a ripped up baseball outfit. What we've got here is about as pedestrian as it gets.


Wait, where was I?  


Would I like to go to this concert?  Hell f’n yeah, I would!  So let's jump on tickemaster.com and see what the average ticket is going for.  First off, the “cheap”  $90 nosebleed tickets are long gone.  So I put a speculative request in for any available tickets.  You can see the screen shot below for the breakdown.



Ouch.  $239.60.  Plus I’m sure there would be a shit-ton of taxes and surcharges tacked on top of that, right????  Now maybe I'm out of touch with what a concert ticket should cost and maybe I'm just a fuddy-duddy (teeheeheehee)  Am I wrong, or is this just an INSANE amount to be spending on a bunch of retro heavy metal bands????


Slightly off topic, didja ever notice when you go to sporting events or concerts, the lowest common denominator always has WADS OF CASH?  Ever heard of a bank?  Apparently the week's entire paycheck is cashed out and in pocket so drunk dude can buy plenty of beer, hotdogs and any other snacks that vendors are hawking.  And $45 t-shirts.

So who’s getting rich off this Big $ Concert?  (I'll bet most of the loot is going straight to that Lars Ulrich.  What a dick he is!) These are insanely stupid-high prices to see some thrashin’.  And most of these tickets have been snapped up, I would assume at this time by the sleazy power wolf ticket brokers.  But they will find buyers.


Now if these tickets are in such demand (call me crazy here)  Don't you think MULTIPLE SHOWS wold be a good idea?  How 'bout wait until the Yanks are out of town for a few days (No, I'm not about to look up their schedule) and book like 4 or 5 nights in a row.  Perhaps that might bring down those ticket prices.

God God (Or should I say Good Satan?)  At least I got to see Slayer at Toad’s Place where the fans ripped down that stupid chain link divider between the bar area and the kid’s section.  Now that was some good fun at a reasonable price. 

As for this concert, I pray that Yankee Stadium gets annihilated by a bunch of drunken Hessians.  That’ll teach the Pinstripe Empire to be part of this outlandish mugging.  And at this point, it's probably just sour grapes, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that no matter where you're sitting, the sound is gonna SUCK in the house that uncouth built.

BTW, I love the har-larious reader comments on brooklynvegan.com:
“More like the OLD four. Seeing old dudes play metal is hilarious, almost as funny as aging rappers.”
As much as this makes me chuckle, I must say those who choose to ignore (or make fun of) the past are doomed to play and listen to average, forgettable music.

1 comment: